Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Castleton Spartans

Early Deficit Plagues Men's Lacrosse in LEC Loss to Plymouth State

Early Deficit Plagues Men's Lacrosse in LEC Loss to Plymouth State

NEW HAMPTON, N.H. – The Castleton University men's lacrosse team fell behind early and never recovered Tuesday evening, dropping a Little East Conference matchup to Plymouth State by a final score of 17-10 at the New Hampton School's Kennedy Field.

Plymouth State (6-6, 5-1 LEC) led wire-to-wire as Castleton drops to 4-12 overall and 2-6 in conference play. The Panthers held a 62-38 edge in shots, 21-10 edge in face-off victories and a 43-27 advantage in ground balls in addition to going 15-of-19 clearing the ball. Castleton was 14-of-24 on clear attempts, and turned it over 24 times to PSU's 19.

Kyle Lutinski had a four-point day from two goals and two assists, while Cameron Russell, Tom Pardew and Jason Sedell added two scores apiece. Trey Lang had a goal and an assist for the first multi-point game of his career. Luc Issa scored once and lead the team with seven ground balls, while Jeremy Clements collected two ground balls and caused a pair of turnovers. Brandon Myron stopped a season-high 18 shots in the cage but suffered the loss to drop his record to 3-9.

Connor Delea racked up seven points on five goals and two assists, while Jake Burns scored four times and Trevor Gagnon added a pair of goals and two assists. Chuck Harrington, Paul Luongo and Casey Elkins added two goals each as well. Robert Porter earned the win with 12 saves in 51 minutes before giving way to Zel Kerkel, who stopped one shot and allowed four goals in nine minutes.

The Panthers got out to an early 2-0 lead, as Delea scored less than 90 seconds into the game before Harrington doubled the lead just six seconds later. Pardew buried a pass from Lutinski to make it a one-goal game once more, but two more goals from Delea to end the first quarter put Plymouth up 4-1 after one.

Russell and Lang opened the second quarter with back-to-back scores to draw the Spartans back within a goal with 10:26 to play until halftime, but Plymouth State received goals from Elkins and Harrington to push the lead back to 6-3 at the midway point of the second quarter. Both sides played scoreless into the break as the Panthers carried a three-goal lead into halftime.

Delea scored again just 47 seconds into the third quarter, but Lutinski answered one minute later for Castleton. Plymouth followed with three unanswered goals to take its largest lead at the time, 10-4, before Issa buried a pass from Xavier McKenna to stop the run. After Gagnon found the twine for the Panthers, Pardew scored his second of the day to make it an 11-6 game in favor of Plymouth State. The Panthers closed out the quarter with two more goals, carrying a 13-6 lead into the final 15 minutes.

Luongo and Burns scored for Plymouth to open the fourth quarter, extending the lead to its largest point—15-6—before Castleton scored three straight goals over a five minute span. Lutinski got his second of the day to stop the run, before Russell notched his second goal. Sedell got on the board for the first time with 3:15 to play in the contest, but Burns and Gagnon again scored for Plymouth to put the game on ice. Sedell capped the scoring with just six seconds left on the clock, burying his second goal of the day and giving the contest its final score, 17-10.

Castleton wraps up the regular-season slate on Thursday at Emmanuel at 7 p.m.