CASTLETON, Vt. – The Castleton University women's tennis team defeated Johnson State College – 7-2 – on Friday afternoon in the team's first contest of the season. Castleton is now 1-0 on the year, while Johnson State falls to 0-1.
Four Spartans collected two wins apiece on the afternoon led by Ciara Bannister at first singles and doubles. She partnered with Kirsten Kruk at top doubles and they shutout the opposing duo 8-0. Bannister later earned a 6-3, 6-0 solo victory, while Kruk tallied a much tighter 6-2, 3-6, 10-4 win.
At second doubles, Megan Nadler and Danarose Weaver earned an 8-1 triumph over Johnson State. Nadler followed suit in singles, earning several breaks of serve to cruise to a 6-1, 6-2 win. Meanwhile, Weaver thoroughly outplayed her opponent, sporting a 6-0, 6-1 final line.
Also earning a win in singles was Emily Miller. The Spartan defeated her opponent 7-5, 6-4 at fourth singles. Alexis Curley fell just short of a comeback as she forced a decisive third set. In the super tiebreak, Curley fell 10-6.
Women's tennis returns to the courts for an 11 a.m. start on Sunday versus the Plattsburgh Cardinals.
Castleton University 7, Johnson State College - 2
1) Ciara Bannister (C) def. Kali Covell 6-3, 6-0
2) Megan Nadler (C) def. Nicole Manick 6-1, 6-2
3)Kirsten Kruk (C) def. Mikayla Messier 6-2, 3-6, 10-4
4) Emily Miller (C) def. Ashley Fogg 7-5, 6-4
5) Sam Kershner (J) def. Alexis Curley 6-0, 1-6, 10-6
6) Danarose Weaver (C) def. Sarah Lind 6-0, 6-1
1) Bannister/Kruk (C) def. Covell/Manick 8-0
2) Nadler/Weaver (C) def. Messier/Kershner 8-1
3) Fogg/Lind (J) def. Miller/Curley 9-8 (3)
@CastletonSports | IG: castletonsports | FB: Castleton University Athletics