Women's Hockey, Plymouth State Skate To 2-2 Draw

Women's Hockey, Plymouth State Skate To 2-2 Draw

Plymouth, N.H. – Castleton battled back from one-goal deficits in each of the first two periods tonight, but both goaltenders played strong defense over the final 20 minutes, as the Spartans played the Panthers of Plymouth State to a 2-2 draw in a New England Hockey Conference matchup on Saturday afternoon at Hanaway Rink.

Castleton's third tie of the season comes as the first in NEHC play, as the team moves to 4-10-3 overall and 3-5-1 in the conference. Plymouth State shifts to 6-9-2 on the season and 3-6-1 in the NEHC with the draw.

Trailing 1-0 in the first period, Jocelyn Forrest got the Spartans going with her fifth goal of the season on an assist from Bre Babiarz. Later down 2-1, Aimee Briand scored for the second consecutive night on assists from Felicia Bjalvegard and Sabrina Hosner. Alexis Kalm made 21 saves on 23 shots to push her record to 1-5-2 on the year.

Kailey Jacobs put Plymouth State up early in the first period and Frederike Brazeau-Lalonde netted the second goal for the Panthers in the middle frame. Courtney Evans, Haley Branovan, and Sydney Linnick picked up assists on the night for Plymouth State. Mariah Trupp recorded 31 saves in the contest for the Panthers, moving to 3-2-1 overall.

Plymouth State wasted no time getting on the board as Jacobs netted the first goal of the game just 43 seconds in on a shot from the point. Setting up their first offensive pressure in the contest, Evans and Branovan cycled the puck to Jacobs at the point, where she snuck a low slap shot past a screened Kalm.

Outshooting Plymouth State 9-4 in the opening frame, the Spartan pressure finally paid off when Forrest busted loose for a 1-on-1 opportunity. The sophomore took care of business for her fifth point in seven games of 2017 to even the score at 1-1 at 8:15 of the period and that remained the score after the first 20 minutes of play.

Castleton came out strong in the second period, outshooting the Panthers 15-8 overall. Forrest nearly clipped the go-ahead goal with another 1-on-1 opportunity right off the faceoff just nine seconds into the period. It was Plymouth State, however, that notched the first goal of the period when Brazeau-Lalonde netted her second goal of the season at the 7:53 mark.

With six consecutive shots on goal late in the period, Briand finally found the answer after sending a loose puck past Trupp from the slot with just 44 seconds left to send both teams into the dressing room knotted back up at 2-2.

It was the Spartans that came up with the initial opportunity in the third, when Briand again found room in the offensive zone just 42 seconds in. Trupp kept it a tie score, and the back-and-forth period ended with neither side able to net the game-winner in regulation.

After being outshot 10-6 in the third period, Castleton responded with three of the four total shots in overtime. Neither goaltender gave in though, as the game ended in a 2-2 stalemate.

With ample opportunities on both ends of the ice, the Spartans came out on the winning end of the shots battle, 33-23, while the teams combined to go 0-for-7 on the power play.

The Spartans will be back in action for an away-away series of NEHC contests at the University of New England and Southern Maine next Friday and Saturday, respectively.