Last-Second Rossi-Crete Goal Leads Castleton To Draw With WestConn

Last-Second Rossi-Crete Goal Leads Castleton To Draw With WestConn

CASTLETON, Vt. – Cam Rossi-Crete's equalizing goal from 10-yards out with just two seconds remaining in regulation led the Castleton University men's soccer team to a 2-2 double overtime draw against 2017 Little East Conference champion Western Connecticut State University on Saturday afternoon at Dave Wolk Stadium.

Earning a tie in the program's first-ever Little East Conference contest, Castleton moves to 3-2-1 overall in 2018, while it is 0-0-1 in league action. WestConn stands at 4-1-1 and 0-0-1.

Entering desperation mode with the clock ticking beneath five seconds, Jack Kingdon sent the ball toward the middle of the field from about 35-yards out. After the pass clipped a WestConn player, Rossi-Crete stabbed at the deflected ball with the side of his foot. The attempt looped up over Colonial goalie Daniel Szabo's head and slipped just inside the left post.

Scoring the lone goal of the first half, Castleton took a 1-0 lead as Colby Gay was on the receiving end of a perfectly threaded ball from Seraphin Iradukunda. Sending it from 25-yards out, Gay collected the ball at the 15, made a move to beat the goalie and scored.

Coming out of the half, Western Connecticut turned the tides quickly, acting as the far more aggressive team. The Colonials' capitalized off an excellent Robert Della Penna feed from the far side, into the middle of the pitch at the 20-yard line. Chauncey Allers took a swinging kick at the ball, connecting and sending it off Castleton keeper Alex Fernald's hands and into the twine.

Less than 10 minutes later, Mikey Sciortino dealt the ball to Darion Richeme' near the box. The senior midfielder ripped the ball into the upper right 90 to give the Colonials the 2-1 advantage.

Fernald played the entire 110 minutes in the goal, making eight saves. Meanwhile, Daniel Szabo earned the draw decision in 65 minutes of playing time, making five stops. Starting for WestConn, Luca DiCarlo stopped two balls in 45 minutes of work.

The two squads nearly split the shot count as WestConn held a 21-17 advantage. Castleton led the saves battle 8-7, including making a huge stop in the second overtime period to preserve the eventual tie.

Men's soccer returns to action at 7 p.m. on Wednesday as it hosts intrastate rival Norwich. Western Connecticut plays Westfield State next at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.


@CastletonSports | IG: castletonsports | FB: Castleton University Athletics