Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Castleton Spartans

Men's Lacrosse Downed by Huskies on Rain-Soaked Senior Day

Men's Lacrosse Downed by Huskies on Rain-Soaked Senior Day

CASTLETON, Vt. – The Castleton University men's lacrosse team dropped its home finale in a rain-soaked contest at Dave Wolk Stadium Saturday, falling to Southern Maine by a final score of 14-10.

Spartan seniors accounted for 13 of Castleton's 15 points in the contest, as the graduating class scored nine of the 10 goals and had four of the five assists. Castleton falls to 4-11 on the season and 2-5 in LEC play, while Southern Maine improves to 6-6 overall and 3-3 in league action.

The Huskies held a 48-37 edge in shots on the day, while Castleton held a 35-32 advantage in ground ball pickups. The Spartans also won 15-of-28 face-offs, but turned it over 25 times to USM's 21. Both teams added one man-up goal on the day.

Senior Jason Sedell netted six goals on the day to lead all players, while classmate Kyle Lutinski added two goals and an assist. Tom Pardew, another senior, added a goal, while classmates Wyatt Pickrell and Cameron Milliken added an assist apiece. Milliken's assist was the first point of his career. Luc Issa had a big day, racking up one goal, one assist, 10 ground balls and four caused turnovers for the Spartans. Brandon Myron stopped 11 shots in his final home game for the Spartans, shouldering the loss in the contest.

Colin Kinney led the Huskies with four goals and an assist, while Paul Leonardo had three assists and a goal for USM. Jake Schoenberg added a hat trick for the visitors, while Cam Thibault scored twice. Griffin Hanson earned his sixth win of the season with 11 saves in goal.

Sedell gave Castleton the first lead of the game, breaking the scoreless tie after nearly nine minutes of action to open the game. Andrew Eno knotted it up 1-1 just two minutes later on an assist from Leonardo, before the Huskies gained a 2-1 lead on a Leonardo goal.

Lutinski opened the second quarter with an unassisted goal to draw the game level at 2-2, before Sedell buried his second of the game to give the Spartans a 3-2 lead less than five minutes into the quarter. The Huskies rallied from there, scoring eight unanswered goals that spanned into the third quarter to take a 10-3 lead.

Sedell and Issa scored back-to-back goals just 10 seconds apart in the middle of the third quarter to make it 10-5, but Thibault stopped the brief run to push the Southern Maine lead back to six goals. After Sedell's fourth goal of the game made it 11-6, Kinney and Nick James added goals for the Huskies to end the third quarter and make it 13-6 heading into the final 15 minutes.

Castleton scored three times in the opening four minutes of the final frame, narrowing the deficit to four goals, 13-9. After the two sides played scoreless for more than seven minutes, the Huskies found the twine on a goal by Bryce Randall to make it 14-9. Lutinski got the Spartans back in the score column with 1:36 to go, but it was not enough as the game held its score of 14-10 through the final horn.

Castleton returns to action on Tuesday against Plymouth State. The game will be played at the New Hampton School in New Hampton, N.H., at 7 p.m.