Russell and Myron Lead Men's Lacrosse Past UMass Boston, 12-10

Russell and Myron Lead Men's Lacrosse Past UMass Boston, 12-10

BOSTON, Mass. – The Castleton University men's lacrosse team used a three-goal fourth period to seal its first Little East Conference victory on Wednesday night, downing UMass Boston by a final score of 12-10 at James Cotter Field.

In a game that featured four ties and three lead changes, Castleton overcame a one-goal deficit entering the final quarter by scoring three unanswered goals to seal the victory. Castleton improves to 3-7 on the year with a 1-2 mark in LEC play, while UMass-Boston falls to 1-9 overall and 0-2 against league opponents.

Cameron Russell led all players with a career-high six goals in the contest, scoring both the game-tying goal and the eventual game-winning goal in the fourth quarter. Brandon Myron earned the win in goal with his third 17-save performance of the season, making multiple key saves throughout the contest. Jason Sedell had a hat trick for Castleton, with Colin Clark adding a two goals and an assist. Kyle Lutinski added three assists in the contest, while Luc Issa led the team with six ground balls and Jeremy Clements caused three turnovers.

Four different Beacons scored a pair of goals on the evening, including Jeremy Girard who added a pair of assists as well. Tommy Wilber, Jr. and Jared Coltey added five ground balls each for UMass Boston. Cameron Dixson was charged with the loss in goal, stopping 11 shots with 12 goals allowed.

Both shot and turnover totals were nearly equal in the contest, with UMass Boston holding a slight edge in both categories. The Beacons also won 14-of-26 face-offs and held an edge in ground balls, 34-23. Castleton converted on 2-of-11 man-up chances, while the Beacons went 1-for-4 in similar opportunities.

UMass Boston opened up an early 2-0 lead in the contest, striking twice in the opening three minutes. Russell got Castleton on the board with 11:08 to play in the opening frame, but two more goals by the Beacons had UMass Boston ahead 4-1. The Spartans charged back, as Sedell, Russell and Clark scored consecutively to knot the game up at 4-4 as Castleton rattled off three goals in a span of 1:13. UMass Boston found the back of the cage again with less than a minute to play in the first quarter, carrying a 5-4 lead into the second frame.

The Spartans rattled off three unanswered goals to open the second quarter, taking their first lead of the game with 10:59 to play in the opening half. Russell completed the hat trick to tie the game, before giving Castleton its first lead, 6-5, with 10:59 to go in the half. Collin Johnson added a score from Nick Aleksonis to push the Spartans ahead by two goals, but the Beacons closed the half with back-to-back goals to send it into halftime all tied up, 7-7.

UMass Boston took the lead back out of the halftime break, as Conor Lenfest scored his second goal of the game, but Sedell tied it at 8-8 just 18 seconds later on an assist from Issa. A pair of Beacon goals put the hosts back on top, 10-8, but Sedell struck again before the end of the quarter to make it 10-9 heading to the final 15 minutes of action.

With 11:20 to play in regulation, Russell converted on a Beacon turnover to knot the game up once more, 10-10, as he notched his fifth score of the contest. After more than six minutes of scoreless action, Russell got in the score column again, putting Castleton ahead 11-10 on an assist from Clark. Clark then added an insurance goal on a man-up chance less than 90 seconds later, giving the game its final score of 12-10.

Castleton returns to action on Saturday against Eastern Connecticut State at Dave Wolk Stadium. Game time is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.