Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Castleton Spartans

Men's Hockey Climbs Back For 3-3 Draw at Southern Maine

Men's Hockey Climbs Back For 3-3 Draw at Southern Maine

GORHAM, Maine – Trailing 3-1 on the road late in the third period, the Castleton men's hockey team rallied back to score two unanswered goals and earn a point in the New England Hockey Conference with a 3-3 draw against Southern Maine Saturday afternoon at USM Ice Arena.

Mark Shroyer and Glenn Wiswell led the Spartans with a goal and an assist each. Ryan Ng netted his second career goal, while Dom Kuziak, Jacob Erwin, and Ryan Smith each recorded an assist. Ryan Mulder was solid in goal and finished with 28 saves to move to 4-3-3 on the season.

With the score even at 1-1 after two periods, four goals were scored in the final stanza. Southern Maine tallied the first two less than three minutes apart to open a 3-1 lead. Brendan Murphy skated into the offensive zone and beat Mulder to the right side, before Tristan Dundas sent a low shot from the point that slipped past a screened Mulder as the Huskies opened the largest lead for either side with 9:56 left in regulation.

Castleton (5-9-3, 1-8-1 NEHC) went to work from there, tallying a pair of unanswered goals less than two minutes apart to lock the game at three apiece. Ng capitalized on a loose puck from point blank and rifled a wrist shot top shelf to cut the deficit to one with 9:04 left in the third. Erwin and Smith were credited with the assists. Shortly after Southern Maine's Maverick Lynes was sent off for boarding, Wiswell hammered home a one-timer from Shroyer at the left-wing circle on the power play as the Spartans came back to tie it at 3-3 with 7:15 left in regulation.

Castleton and Southern Maine both came away with power-play opportunities down the stretch, but both goaltenders stood tall. The Huskies held a 4-2 shots advantage in overtime, but Mulder stayed strong as neither side was able to net the game-winner in the extra period.

Castleton struck first on Shroyer's fourth goal of the season. Wiswell drifted a shot on goal from the left-wing circle and Shroyer crept in from the blue line to drive home the rebound and give the Spartans an early 1-0 lead exactly four minutes into the game.

Southern Maine (2-9-4, 2-5-3 NEHC) quickly responded on a goal by Brett Norman 2:53 later. Jonathan Bartuccio-Pereira drove a low shot from the point, where Norman redirected it off the right post and past the goal line to even the score at 1-1. Both goaltenders were strong the rest of the way to skate into the first intermission tied 1-1.

The Spartans were unable to generate much offense in the second period, finishing with four shots on goal. Behind more solid defense and strong goaltending from Mulder, the Spartans were able to kill off back-to-back penalties to close out the second stanza with the score still tied up at one goal apiece.  

Shots finished 31-17 in favor of Southern Maine. Castleton finished 1-for-2 on the power play, while Southern Maine went 1-for-5 with the man advantage. The two teams will meet one more time in the regular season on Feb. 3 at USM Ice Arena.

Castleton will return home for a pair of New England Hockey Conference contests, starting with a matchup against No. 11/9 Hobart Friday at 7 p.m. at Spartan Arena.